Chronic diseases almost always come with mental instability as a side effect. Chronic pain and other terrible symptoms are a burden that not everyone can stand for a long time. That is normal.
Moreover, it is known that stress levels are related to the frequency and intensity of flare ups. Therefore, patients should take care of their mental health in order to reduce the symptoms of their disease.
The vicious cycle we’re talking about
While we work on putting our disease into remission (or as close as it can get) we must try to stay as calm as we can. Obviously, in the first place, we must try to relax. A variety of methods work for different people: from sport to meditation and everything in between. If lifestyle changes are not enough to relieve us from the stress and the signs of depression, we can search for help in Nature, which offers us many natural compounds that will surely help us.
Drugs that are normally used (anxiolytics, antidepressants and even sedatives!) are just another ingredient in the chemical cocktail that the patient takes. Although in some cases they can be be useful, nonstop use produces tolerance and adverse events that can even be worse than the original disease. In the following lines, we’re going to describe 7 natural relaxers that are just as effective as drugs but without risking serious adverse events.
- L-Taurine: It’s a non essential amino acid that can be found in meat, fish and dairy. Together with strong vasodilator, antioxidant and cholesterol lowering effects it also has relaxing properties for different pathological states. Supplementation with up to 1000 mg/kg of weight is not associated with adverse events. Our favourite product is this one.
- L-Theanine: This amino acid, which is commonly found in green tea, possesses relaxing, mood improving and calmative effects. As its content in green tea is not very high, we feel that supplementation may be necessary. Remember that Theanine also reduces premenstrual discomfort. Our followers recommended us this brand, which is by far the best we know.
- Valerian: This plant acts by relaxing the nervous system and the brain. It’s use is widely spread and it’s very recommended for people with sleeping disorders. A systematic revision, after analyzing 1000 patients found out that it’s very effective for improving sleep. Remember that the infusion doesn’t provide a substantial dose. You can buy a concentrate made out of valerian here.
- Magnesium: Although this mineral isn’t normally checked in blood tests, it constitutes the second most common deficiency in chronic diseases after Vitamin D. It can be found mainly in green vegetables such as spinach and chard. Apart from other functions, it’s a strong muscular relaxer. Taking into account that soil nowadays has very little magnesium and that getting enough of it through food is quite difficult, supplementation with this mineral should be mandatory for all people suffering from chronic illnesses. Search for a type of magnesium that is well absorbed.
- Holy Basil: This plant has been used for more than 5000 years in ayurvedic medicine. Amongst its properties are stress, anxiety and fatigue reduction and, of course, sleep improvement. No side effects are associated with the use of holy Basil. This is the product that we recommend.
- GABA: Gamma aminobutyric acid inhibits the overactivity of the nervous system and the brain. It reduces stress and anxiety. In several studies it has been shown as effective as benzodiazepines. Our favourite GABA product is sold by Now foods.
- CBD oil: This oil, absolutely legal and without the damaging properties of the cannabis leaf is an excellent relaxer and antidepressant. It can be easily found and purchased on the Internet. Its efficacy has been verified by different studies. Nutiva sells an affordable and very effective CBD oil.
Clever supplementation will result in reduced stress and anxiety although you shouldn’t forget about the basic lifestyle choices that can also help you:
- Combine cardio and strength exercises, preferably outdoors.
- Sleep at least 8 hours per day.
- Sunbathe at least 15 minutes per day. Supplement with this product if you don’t have everyday access to sunlight.
- Practice some kind of relaxing technique: may it be mindfulness, yoga or praying.
Remember that you can get a 5% discount on all supplements on Iherb.com through our link: